Democratic governance and international law / edited by Gregory H. Fox and Brad R. Roth.
Contributor(s): Fox, Gregory H | Roth, Brad R.Material type: TextPublisher: Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2000Description: xiii, 585 p. ; 24 cm.ISBN: 9780521667968.Subject(s): International law -- Political aspects | DemocracyDDC classification: 341 Online resources: Sample text | Publisher description | Table of contents
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
Symbiosis Law School, Noida
|Reference||341 FOX.D (Browse shelf)||Available||SLSN-B-9877|
Includes bibliographical references (p. xii-xiii) and index.
Introduction: The spread of liberal democracy and its implication for international law / Gregory H. Fox and Brad R. Roth
Part I. The Normative Foundations of a Right to Political Participation
1. Legitimacy of the democratic entitlement / Thomas M. Franck
2. The right to political participation in international law / Gregory H. Fox
3. Democracy and the body of international law / James Crawford
Part II. Democracy and Inter-State Relations
4. Democratic legitimacy and the recognition of states and governments / Sean D. Murphy
5. Constitutionalism and democratic government in the inter-American system / Steven Schnably
6. Government networks: the heart of the liberal democratic order / Anne-Marie Slaughter
Part III. Democracy and the Use of Force
7. Sovereignty and human rights in contemporary international law / W. Michael Reisman
8. 'You, the people': pro-democratic intervention in international law / Michael Byers and Simon Chesterman
9. Pro-democratic intervention by invitation / David Wippman
10. The illegality of 'pro-democratic' invasion pacts / Brad R. Roth
11. International law and the 'liberal peace' / John Owen
Part IV. Democratisation and Conflicting Imperatives
12. Intolerant democracies / Gregory H. Fox and Georg Nolte
13. Whose intolerance, which democracy?/ Martti Koskenniemi
14. Democratic intolerance: observations on Fox and Nolte / Brad R. Roth
15. A defence of the 'intolerant democracies' thesis / Gregory H. Fox and Georg Nolte
16. Democracy and accountability: the criss-crossing paths of two emerging norms / Steven R. Ratner
Part V. Critical Approaches
17. Evaluating democratic progress / Brad R. Roth
18. What kind of democracy does the 'democratic entitlement' entail? / Jan Knippers Black
19. International law, democracy and the end of history / Susan Marks.
This book considers how the post-Cold War democratic revolution has affected international law.